In many situations it is desirable to patch your ESXi host(s) prior to being able to install or use VMware vSphere® Update Manager™.
UPDATED 4/18/2016: HP has a new URL for HP Customized VMware ISO’s and VIB’s
- Prior to installing vCenter in a new cluster
- Standalone ESXi installations without a vCenter Server
- Hardware replacement where you have ESXi Configurations backed-up with vicfg-cfgbackup.pl, but the rest of the hosts in the cluster are running a higher build number than the latest ISO available
- It is just convenient on a new ESXi host, when internet connectivity is available!
- Non-Windows environments that do not to intend to create a Windows instance just for patching ESXi